Even though I eat really healthy (mostly), I still like to incorporate supplements into my diet, mainly because I have this bad habit of forgetting to eat during the day (I’ve been doing better lately, though) & I want to make sure I am getting enough nutrients.
One of my favorite recent supplements that I have been taking is Seabuckthorn Oil. If you haven’t heard of this nutritional powerhouse, allow me to introduce you…
Seabuckthorn (or Hippophae Rhamnoides) is a shrub that produces orange berries that are known for their high Omega fatty acid content, including the rare Omega-7. This “superfruit” has been used historically as a beauty treatment, an energy booster and to treat a wide variety of ailments. In ancient Greek times, it was even fed to horses to support health & vitality and was noted to give them shiny fur. Seabuckthorn’s botanical name literally means “tree that makes horses shine”.
While it typically grows in Asia & Eastern Europe, the brand I take uses the Seabuckthorn berries specifically grown in the Tibetan Plateau – where high altitude, strong UV radiation & extreme climates have equipped the berries with an amazing bio-defense mechanism that makes it extremely hearty & full of life-giving nutrients. Nicknamed a “miracle berry”, Seabuckthorn is packed full of potent antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids, all of which do wonders for your skin and your health.
Just take a look at what’s inside & the benefits…
Full nutrient profile of Seabuckthorn Berries:
- Antioxidants (including Superoxide Dismutase, or SOD, the most powerful antioxidant)
- Vitamins – A, C, E, B1, B2, B5, B9 (folic acid), B12, D, K & P
- Beta Carotene
- Amino Acids
- Omegas – 3, 6, 9 & 7
Benefits of Seabuckthorn Berries:
The entire plant can be used (leaves, berries, and roots), making it a complete food that can treat the body in the following ways:
- To treat gastrointestinal issues, such as ulcers & GERD
- For skin problems, such as acne & rashes
- Heals infections
- Promotes colon health
- Reduces inflammation in the body
- Supports vision & eye health
- Improves mental clarity
- Hydrates & nourishes skin
- Boosts circulation (lymphatic)
- Neutralizes free radicals
- Slows down aging
- Supports liver
- May reduce symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue
- Is anti-fungal & anti-bacterial
- Supports urogenital system
- Supports a healthy weight
- Protects against UV radiation
- Regenerates skin cells
and so much more!
Now, on to the products I have been using!
My favorite brand of Seabuckthorn berry oil is from SeabuckWonders, the first company to introduce Seabuckthorn to the U.S. & who only uses pure Himalayan, USDA Certified Organic Seabuckthorn Berries.
All of SeabuckWonders products:
- Are made with USDA Certified Organic Himalayan Seabuckthorn
- Contain the highest natural Omega-7 content on the market
- Are fair trade & environmentally conscious
- Are Non-GMO Project Verified, Kosher Certified & Third-Party tested
I was graciously sent their Omega-7 Complete & Berry Oil to trial and share my thoughts.
Omega-7 Complete – A combination of both the berry and seed oil, this supplement packs all the healthy punch that Seabuckthorn has to offer! Each capsule contains all of the Omegas (3, 6, 7, 9) + Vitamin E for even more antioxidant support. And for those who suffer from acne, like I do, this blend offers a high content of Linoleic Acid (from the Omega 3 & 6). Since I have been taking this (along with some dietary & lifestyle changes), I have noticed that my skin doesn’t get “angry” like it used to (not even around that time of the month!), and that it seems to be more hydrated as well. My digestion also seems to be improving as well as joint and muscle pain. And I seem to be less fatigued and even have more energy to make it through my workouts. 🙂
- Superior Omega 7 Source over Fish and Macadamia Nuts
- Supercritical extract of seed oil & berry oil
- The Ultimate Plant-Based Omega 7
- Skin, gastrointestinal, heart & liver health
- Powerful antioxidant and immune support
- Healthy inﬂammation response
- Made with USDA Certified Organic Sea Buckthorn*
- 100% Pure Sea Buckthorn Oil (no other oil added)
- Kosher Certified
- Available in 60 and 120 softgels / 500mg each
Price – $29.97 (for 60 gels)
Seabuckthorn Berry Oil – This oil provides an abundant supply of Omega-7 (30-35%), which makes it vital for both health and beauty. Some of the many benefits of Omega-7 include improving gastrointestinal, cardiovascular, digestive & immune systems, as well as supporting healthy hair, skin & nails. You can use this both externally as well as internally (which is how I have been using it), and while I am not a fan of the taste, I do feel like it is helping to improve my overall health (especially combined with the “Omega-7 Complete”). I do plan on mixing this with some of my other facial oils to try it topically, though I have read that it can stain your clothes or pillow (if using at night), so I will have to be mindful of that. I’ll keep you posted on how it works for my skin!
- For both internal and external use
- Maximum Omega-7 for skin, hair and nail health
- Cell membrane nurturing
- Gastrointestinal and liver health
- Dental and gum health
- Healthy inﬂammation response
- 100% USDA Certiﬁed Organic
- Non-GMO Project Verified
- Super Critical Extract
- Kosher Certified
- Available in 1.76 ﬂ. oz. (52ml)
Price – $15.97 for .45 fl oz
Final note: As wonderful as this superfood is, I want to make it clear that I don’t believe supplements alone are enough to make one healthy. Supplements are just that – a supplement to a healthy diet and lifestyle, not a cure all. I do believe that taking these products have definitely helped to improve my health, but I know that it is also the changes I have made in my diet and lifestyle that are causing a turn-around as well. I think everything is working together to get me back to where I need to be and not just one thing. I just wanted to put this little disclaimer in there so that you know that while yes, these are without a doubt causing improvements, they are not the only things I am doing/taking to improve my health. All that being said, I would not hesitate to recommend Seabuckthorn oil to anyone looking for help with digestive, skin or fatigue issues.
Have you ever tried Seabuckthorn Oil? How do you use/take it? What benefits have you noticed?
Peace & love,
*Product was sent to me for an honest review consideration. All opinions are my own.